1. How did you get started in BJJ?
I did my last wrestling tournament in 2003 and needed a new outlet. My best friend had just started fighting and said to come train with him.
2. What is your current rank and who gave it to you? Where do you currently train at now?
I am currently a Blackbelt and looking to receive my First Degree this year. I was awarded my Blackbelt from Alexander Crispim in 2012. I own my academy, Sabre Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Concord, CA where I teach and train daily.
3. Is there a person you would like to roll with if you were given the opportunity?
4. Do you compete in BJJ?
Quite a bit lol…I do a dozen or more tournaments a year.
5. How did you do in all your tournaments? Accomplishments?
I’m a 3x No Gi World Champion (blue belt, twice at brown). At Blackbelt I’ve won the Bronze and Silver medals at the No Gi Worlds..hoping to finally win Gold this year. I’ve won No Gi Pan Am Gold medal in NYC, Asian Open Gold medal in Japan, Triple Gold in the Chicago Open, Double Silver medals at the Rome/European Open…and countless others.
6. What do you do for a living? Work? School? I own and teach at my own jiu-jitsu academy.
7. What do you enjoy doing other than BJJ? Hobbies?
I love Dogs, cars, traveling, and searching for good places to eat
8. How has BJJ changed your life?
It’s everything…it’s what I do, it’s what inspires me to go forward and improve for myself and my students. It’s more than just something that pays the bills, it’s my complete way of life.
9. Any advice to the new white belts that recently started BJJ?
Don’t quit. No matter how bad you suck or it hurts, don’t ever quit.
10. What do you like most and least about BJJ?
Most: the friendships
Least: politics and drama
11. Do you train any other martial arts or exercise other than BJJ?
I lift weights daily and still wrestle every week.
11. Is there anything else you would like to say to the readers of this interview? Thanks to everyone who I’ve met through this art, and thank you to all who have supported me through the years.
Jiu-Jitsu Spotlight is to allow one’s personal opinions, advices and journey into their Jiu Jitsu training and lifestyle.
If you train Jiu-Jitsu, and would like to be featured on our website and share your love and passion for BJJ, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All belt ranking are accepted as long as you love BJJ and you feel that it as impacted your life for the positive in any way. Osss!