1. How did you get started in BJJ?
I’ve always been a fan of Marcelo Garcia but I was too much of a wuss to start rolling with other guys but I eventually gave in and started with a few friends at garages and open mat.
2. What is your current rank and who gave it to you? Where do you currently train at now?
Blue Belt under Alan “Gumby” Marquez from Heroes Martial Arts in San Jose, CA.
3. Is there a person you would like to roll with if you were given the opportunity?
Marcelo Garcia – Been a fan of MG before I started training Jiu-Jitsu and Leozinho Viera. Pretty much the two guys that got me interested ‘watching’ Jiu-Jitsu.
4. Do you compete in BJJ?
I do or did.
5. How did you do in all your tournaments? Accomplishments?
I suck but I’ve learned a lot about myself. No one likes to lose but I’m ok with it. There was a time when I competed EVERY SINGLE weekend. I’m a competitive person but I have to be honest to myself about my lifestyle, I don’t put enough time on the mat.
6. What do you do for a living? Work? School?
I run my own business, Want vs Need, that sells clothing lines & design works. But it’s more of a personal lifestyle project that reflects around us, the community and the cultures we’re surrounded with.
7. What do you enjoy doing other than BJJ? Hobbies?
Cars, Racing, Drifting but I pretty much develop a passion of learning so I’m always up to no good.
8. How has BJJ changed your life?
Changed my life in the most awkward ways but for the better of myself. Here’s a story, I used to get sick when I was a kid when I drank tap water so growing up I would never drink tap water, always bottled water. Jiu-Jitsu pretty much change that, I was able to get over some of my OCD’s.
9. Any advice to the new white belts that recently started BJJ?
Pull Guard, 50/50 and come up for 2 points in the last 4 seconds and be a WORLD CHAMP.
10. What do you like most and least about BJJ?
I’m older and wiser now, so I like to like everything about what I do. I don’t really think of anything that I don’t like, if I don’t like anything I distance myself from any of it. oh, IBJJF refs.
11. Is there anything else you would like to say to the readers of this interview?
Stay Young, be irrational and invincible.
Jiu-Jitsu Spotlight is to allow one’s personal opinions, advices and journey into their Jiu Jitsu training and lifestyle.
If you train Jiu-Jitsu, and would like to be featured on our website and share your love and passion for BJJ, please email to email@example.com. All belt ranking are accepted as long as you love BJJ and you feel that it as impacted your life for the positive in any way. Osss!
Check out http://www.Knoxxgear.com